Visit my website for more info and pics..
www.richardjupe.com

Wednesday 10 August 2011

Magical forests and mystical light... hmmm

One of the main reasons that I have started this blog is to push myself into doing more personal work. Over the last 10 years I've tried all sorts of things to this end, most of which are spectacularly unsucessful. Closed Session (and the later incandation global session) the few exceptions. But that's another story. 

The work here is the lastest in a stream of unfinished projects. My aim, to force myself to write a context statement and to get some feedback on the work and said context statement...help please, anyone!

Nocturnal
Tasmanias myrtle forest are in a world of their own, light catches on ferns and gnarling tree roots amid a derth of deep shadows.  They are a magical place, timeless, motionless and completely segregated from the outside world. Stepping inside imediatly transports you to a place where endless shades of green intemingle with deep browns and blazing sunlight. A carcofany of colour, as if mixed and sprayed across a landscape, then left for a millenia to grow, live, die and cycle endlessly.  Standing inside, the timlessness encapulates very sense, there is no floor, no ceiling, no start or end, there is the forest. The forest that lives, that keeps, sways and molds to every change, that slowely grows through storm and sun, that will die through and through and still live to see another day.



In the night, the light that generates this energy has left. I attempt to recreat the energy as I remember. To create the magic artifically that nature does so easily. It's a challenge and privallage to spent time in the forests and share in some of it's magic.

1 comment:

  1. Hey ya Rich,

    Very cool stuff. I think I saw it published in the Mercury a few months ago?

    ReplyDelete